Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Crushing Disappointment for Twilight, the movie.


I shouldn't have done it. The strange part is, I knew that. So WHY did I do it? Well, I couldn't help myself. I had to watch the movie. (I won't give out any spoilers for those who haven't seen or read the books.)

After reading the wonderful Teen-Lit book by Stephanie Myers, my anticipation to see the motion picture was off-the-charts. Most things in life do not live up to our extreme expectations, but I really beleived this time would be different. If I hadn't been so keen on the book and already knew the story, I probably would have given up on the movie before it was half-way finished. There was no chemistry between the love birds, not to mention, if you hadn't read the book, you'd have NO idea why they're in love in the first place. Like most movies that start out as novels, Twilight was trimmed for film production, a neccessary process. However, they took out the meat of the novel and left the dramatic fluff. What a shame. There are certain scenes where you look at the face of the lead man, Edward, and as a reader of the book you KNOW why he's making that particular face, and why he's looking at the new girl with undisguised loathing.... but the movie does nothing to explain this, or very little. Infact, the movie does little to explain anything. The screenplay writer is assuming you have read the book and so glosses over the final details, until what you really have is a movie about... nothing.

The special effects were poorly handled, and un-realistic, another huge disappointment. I wanted to see what my imagination couldn't picture. The incredible speed and strength of the vampires... what was portrayed were comic-like road-runner men with no upper body movement.

What was GOOD about the movie: It was lovely to see the characters brought to life. It certainly didn't hurt my impression of the book and it didn't make me loose interest in the rest of the series. I loved the attitude portrayed by the leading lady. Her performance was believable. I also liked the villains, all three did a supurb job. Word on the street is they're going to make another film for the next book and are still hunting down a director.

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it... I'm feeling slightly demoralized. I would also like to point out that I'm not a critic. This is mearly my un-professional opinion. Lord knows it's a much better movie that I could produce!

4 comments:

Jinksy said...

I tend to give movies a wide berth if I've read the book first - my magination usually does a better job than any producer!

Jules~ said...

Hi there. Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning to say hi. I always love the visits.

My daughter said the same sort of things you did about the movie. She said they (Hollywood) butchered it so badly. After reading the book, she spent much of her viewing time laughing at how poor it was.
Maybe if they do a second movie with a different director there will be so change?

Blessings to you today.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I think you're right - It's been such a big success as a novel, that they leave out the needed explanations - I just started reading the novel, and like Jinksy, I often never bother seeing a film that has mixed reviews, as I never find they meet my expectations, sadly...

Anonymous said...

Hey there!! I SO agree with everything you have said. Even though I keep telling myself I love the movie, and will likely buy it when out on DVD as well... it didn't live up to the novel in any form and I was left feeling 'empty'! I hope they do a better job with the next movie!!

Mis xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...